GUIDANCE FOR SPIRITUAL SEEKERS
“Does spiritual work help the world?”
To endeavor to evolve spiritually is the greatest gift you can give.
It actually uplifts all humankind from within because of the nature of power itself. Power radiates and is shared, whereas force is limited, self-defeating, and evanescent. All society is subliminally and subtly influenced by every kind and loving thought, word, or deed. Every forgiveness is a benefit to everyone. The Universe notes and records every action and returns it in kind. Every kindness is forever.
THE MOST VALUABLE QUALITIES AND ATTITUDES FOR THE SPIRITUAL SEEKER
“What are the qualities and attitudes needed to advance in consciousness?”
Start with certainty and a feeling of security instead of self-doubt or timidity. Accept without reservation that you are worthy of the quest and be resolved to totally surrender to the truth about God. The facts that are to be unreservedly accepted are simple and immensely powerful. Surrendering to them brings enormous spiritual advancement.
12 Spiritual Facts
- The living proof of God’s love and will for you is the gift of your own existence.
- There is no need to compare yourself with others regarding “holiness,” merit, goodness, deservingness, sinlessness, and so forth. These are all human notions, and God is not limited by human notions.
- The concept of “the fear of God” is ignorance. God is peace and love and nothing else.
- The depiction of God as a “judge” is a delusion of the ego that arises as a projection of guilt from the punishments of childhood. Realize that God is not a parent.
- Christ’s teaching was simply to avoid the negativity (calibrated levels below 200), and the goals of his teaching was for his followers to reach Unconditional Love (cal.540). He knew that once the level of Unconditional Love was reached, the soul’s destiny after death was certain and the soul was safe. This is essentially the same conclusion taught by the world’s great religions, such as Pure Land Buddhism.
- Salvation and Enlightenment are somewhat different goals. Salvation requires purification of the ego; Enlightenment requires its total dissolution. The goal of Enlightenment is more demanding and radical.
- It is not a personal “you” who is seeking Enlightenment but an impersonal quality of consciousness that is the motivator. Spiritual inspiration and dedication carry forth the work.
- Comfort replaces insecurity when you realize that the most important goal has already been accomplished. That goal is to be on the road of spiritual dedication. Spiritual development is not an accomplishment but a way of life. It is an orientation that brings its own rewards, and what is important is the direction of your motives.
- Every step forward benefits everyone. Your spiritual dedication and work are a gift to life and the love of all humankind.
- There is no timetable or prescribed route to God. Although each person’s route is unique, the terrain to be covered is relatively common to all. Details differ based on past karma.
- Intense prayer augments dedication and inspiration and facilitates progress.
- The grace of God is available to all. The strength of the ego can be quite formidable, and without the assistance of the power of higher spiritual beings, it cannot of itself be transcended. Fortunately, the power of the consciousness of every great teacher or avatar who has ever lived still remains. Historically, the “Grace of the Sage” is available to the committed spiritual seeker. To focus on a teacher or their teachings by meditation makes the power and energy of that teacher available to call upon. It is the will of every truly enlightened sage that every student succeeds, not just members of a particular group. Just as the individual seeker benefits all humankind, so too does the Enlightenment of the teachers benefit the seeker. There are no requirements or obligations.
14 Spiritual Principles
Evolution on the Map of Consciousness is aided by following certain spiritual principles, which, over time, unravel the ego’s perception: The way I see the world is exactly the way it is. The “way” of spiritual advancement through consciousness is uncomplicated and simple.
- Look at life not as a place to acquire gain but as an opportunity for learning, which abounds even in the smallest of life’s details.
- Develop humility, with the awareness of the limitations of the mind and appearance.
- Be willing to overlook and forgive.
- Observe people with compassion.
- Cultivate curiosity about and familiarity with the nature of consciousness.
- Seek to give love rather than to receive it.
- Avoid creating “enemies.”
- Choose a benign role and view of life.
- Give up guilt.
- Let go of resistance and find the joy of giving 101 percent.
- Realize that “Truth” is dependent on context.
- Practice nonattachment, which is an attitude of withdrawal of emotional entanglement in worldly affairs.
- Accept that everything serves a purpose.
- Avoid false gurus.
Ask to be the servant of the Lord, a vehicle of Devine Love, a channel of God’s will. Ask for direction and divine assistance and surrender all personal will through devotion. Dedicate your life to the service of God. Choose love and peace above all other options. Commit to the goal of unconditional love and compassion for life in all its expression and surrender all judgment to God.
THE ESSENCE OF THE PATH
The core of all the great spiritual teachings and teachers can be summarized in a few simple statements.
- Choose to be easygoing, benign, forgiving, compassionate, and unconditionally loving toward life in all its expressions without exception, including oneself.
- Focus on unselfish service and the giving of love, consideration, and respect to all creatures.
- Avoid negativity and the desire for worldliness and its greed for pleasure and possessions.
- Forgo opinionation, the judgement of right versus wrong, the vanity of being “right,” and the trap of righteousness.
- Seek to understand rather than to condemn.
- Venerate teachers of these basic principles and ignore all others.
- Apply these principles to one’s view of oneself as well as others.
- Trust in the love, mercy, and infinite wisdom and compassion of Divinity, which sees through all human error, limitation, and frailty.
- Avoid negative depictions of God – that is, jealous, angry, destructive, partial, favoring, vengeful, insecure, vulnerable, contractual, and so on – as an anthropomorphic error. Understand that condemnation and fear of judgment stem from ego. Place faith and trust in the love of God, which is all-forgiving.
- Realize that, like the sun, the love of God shines equally on all.
SIMPLE TOOLS OF GREAT VALUE FOR THE SPIRITUAL JOURNEY
Simple tools, consistently applied, will result in the revelation of spiritual truths that do not have to be acquired intellectually, because they present themselves with great clarity. In addition, they present themselves only when suitable and serviceable, and because they are not an acquisition of the mind, they do not end up as spiritual vanity. Some tried-and-true basic tools that have brought tremendous results over the centuries are as follows:
- Be kind to everything and everyone, including oneself, all the time, with no exception.
- Revere all life, in all its expressions, no matter what, even if one does not understand it.
- Presume no actual reliable knowledge of anything at all. Ask God to reveal the meaning.
- Intend to see the hidden beauty of all that exists – it then reveals itself.
- Forgive everything that is witnessed and experienced, no matter what. Remember Christ, Buddha, and Krishna said that all error is due to ignorance. Socrates said all people can choose only what they believe to be the good.
- Approach all life with humility and be wiling to surrender all positionalities and mental/emotional arguments of gain.
- Be willing to forgo all perceptions of gain, desire, or profit and thereby be of selfless service to life in all its expressions.
- Make one’s life a living prayer by intention, alignment, humility, and surrender. True spiritual reality is actually a way of being in the world.
- By verification, confirm the levels of consciousness and spiritual truth of all teachers, teachings, spiritual groups, and literature one intends to be aligned with or a student of.
- Accept that by spiritual declaration, commitment, and surrender, Knowingness arises that provides support, information, and all that is needed for the entire journey.
“Everyone has the opportunity to contribute to harmony and beauty by kindness to others and thereby support the human spirit. That which is freely given to life flows back to us because we are equally part of that life. Like ripples on the water, every gift returns to the giver. What we affirm in others, we actually affirm in ourselves.”
As you advance spiritually, it brings value to everyone. Because of the collective consciousness, every single person who improves helps elevate the level of consciousness of humankind. As that elevates, the incidents of war, suffering, ignorance, savaging, and disease diminish. When you advance yourself, you are helping everyone and everything. Appreciate that every step forward benefits everyone. In a holographic universe, the achievements of every individual contribute to the advancement and well-being of the whole.
David R. Hawkins
The Map Of Consciousness Explained
The Map Of Consciousness Explained